During a time when school violence and bullying have become so prevalent, it’s important now more than ever that we teach our kids more than just literacy and math skills. That’s where character education comes into the picture. Character education is about teaching our children values and setting a moral foundation for them that they will carry with them throughout their lives. Fairness, honesty trustworthiness, perseverance, compassion, generosity, responsibility, respect, and citizenship are the main pillars of character education.
When we teach our children these core values in school at an early age, the benefits are plentiful. Below are some of the many benefits that character education provides:
- Higher academic achievements: In a research study done by a Rutgers professor, the results showed that schools that focused on developing the moral character of their students proved to be more academically successful than those that did not.
- Improved attendance: When a child learns how to be responsible, he will understand that going to school is one of his responsibilities. Not only does responsibility improve attendance, but it also helps them understand the importance of showing up to class and turning in work on time.
- Fewer disciplinary issues: The focus on respect makes children value not only themselves but also their peers and their teachers. Respectful students take their assignments more seriously because they respect their own skills and abilities, as well as the teacher who gave them the assignment.
- Reduced violence: When children are taught the concepts of fairness, compassion, and respect at an early age, they will use words instead of fists to solve their problems. This creates a learning environment of peace and harmony rather than tension and violence.
- A feeling of safety: Both children and their parents have reported feeling safer knowing that they are attending schools where the other students also value the same character traits, such as compassion, respect, and trustworthiness.
Character Education at Prep Academy
Our curriculum at Prep Academy is designed to ensure the development of the whole child – intellectually, socially, developmentally and emotionally. Through age-appropriate activities and real-world scenarios, we help our students develop positive character traits such as self-worth, responsibility, self-confidence, and compassion. All of our teachers lead by example and serve as caring and nurturing role models for their students.